How to file an appeal:

All appeals from a Westminster municipal case must be filed with the Adams County District Court within 35 days from the date of sentencing

The Adams County District Court is located at 1100 Judicial Center Drive, Brighton, Colorado

To begin the appeal process you must complete form JDF222 (Notice of Appeal and Designation of Record - Criminal). Upon filing of the form with District Court, you will be required to pay a filing fee.  Please visit the Adams County Courts website for tips on how to complete the form, have the filing fee waived, or for more information about the appeal process. 

Copies of the completed form JDF222 must also be mailed or hand delivered to the Westminster Municipal Court and the Westminster City Attorney's Office (Prosecutor's Office).  

Please note:

A stay of execution of the sentence imposed by the Westminster Municipal Court on your case will not be granted automatically because an appeal has been filed.  If you wish to request a stay of execution of your sentence you must check the applicable box on the form JDF222.

An appeal bond may be required to stay your sentence while the appeal is in process. The appeal bond is set by the Municipal Court Judge and must be paid with cash or certified funds. 

Transcripts of the trial are required as part of the appeal process.  You may use the second part of form JDF222 (Designation of Record) to request the transcript.  Simply check the second box ("the original transcript") and identify the proceedings you wish to have transcribed.  You will be required to pay a deposit for the transcript in order for your request to be processed.  Please note that it may take up to six (6) weeks for the transcript to be prepared. 

You will be notified when the appeal packet is completed. 

Please contact the Clerk's Office at 303-658-2250 if you have additional questions. 




Add Content...

Add Content...